Friday, October 17, 2008

Dear Friends,

This past week I have been to visit some of the children that have been placed back into their communities from Ubumi. I am happy to report that all of them are doing well at home and in school, which is very encouraging.

These visits have taken me into rural Zambia and made me realize how amazing Ubumi really is. The kids who come here are safe, fed, and able to play unlike some of their less fortunate counterparts who are malnourished and live in what they call child-aided homes. This means there is an older child (maybe around 9) caring for younger children. This kind of lifestyle leaves no room for the joys of childhood and it’s heartbreaking.

In Musonda good things are happening. A toilet and shower complex has just been built for the school children which will improve hygiene exponentially; A chicken run is fast being erected that will give local women a chance to raise and sell chickens and eggs; The maize mill is almost up and running; Community school attendance is high and the kids are very, very eager learners.

The kids at Ubumi are doing great! Despite a broken toe, an accidental punch in the face, and a minor miscommunication about the authenticity of WWF Smackdown and Spiderman, everyone is quite happy. Stephen had to read the story book version of The Lion King and I found out they have never seen it. I took it upon myself to sing them all the songs at the appropriate times in the story and they were sure I was inventing them on the spot. I can’t say I’m not flattered they think I’m capable of such musical genius but I had to tell them the sad truth.

I taught the kids ‘mother may I?’ and I love the way they scream it, ‘Mah-da mayeye?!’ They never, ever get sick of this game. We use scissor steps, big steps, little steps, monkey steps, and jumping steps but unless Memory or I are the mother, it’s mostly just big steps which John likes to call “Laaaaah-jah Steppers.” (larger steps.)

They taught me a very complicated game called Eagle which I can’t explain yet and which I’m very bad at playing. It looks suspiciously like hopscotch with many more rules. I only just learned this game, it turns out, because it has begun to rain which packs down the sand and prevents jumping feet dust storms. The rain is a huge relief, it cools everything down and makes the plants greener. The first time it rained while I was at Ubumi, there was mutiny. They were specifically instructed by their caretaker to not get their clothes wet… I’ll skip the details and tell you it ended with all of us mostly naked and wrinkled enough to be about one hundred and ten years old.

I was told that Marco’s birthday was Tuesday… I’m skeptical about this but we dumped cool water on his head and sang about twenty rounds of ‘happy birthday’ anyway.

I am extremely sad to report that I have to cut my stay here in half to come home for some semi-emergency dental surgery. I am leaving Kitwe around November 1st and will be home the following week. I haven’t begun to really think about leaving the kids yet, it’s far too hard. I wish I could come back but it’s just too expensive. I know I will come to Zambia again, it’s just a matter of time and money. The bright side is I will hopefully be able to send lots of great Christmas presents and help out with Children of Ubumi.

Peace,
Vidya

2 comments:

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Vidya, I am sorry you are having dental problems, and sorry you are having to come home early. But I believe you will return to Zambia or someplace like it, someday. You have a good heart and I don't believe that will ever change.

Vidya said...

thank you :)